1) Salvador Sanchez – Wilfredo Gomez… Sanchez was a young, solid champion but Gomez was, Gomez. The man that had destroyed the invincible Carlos Zarate. Well Salvador proved to the world and Gomez that he was an all-time great. Wilfredo was down in the first and outclassed the rest of the way until it was stopped in round eight.
2) Donald Curry – Milton McCrory… Curry had been long considered a pound for pound best. Milt was to be the second coming of Tommy Hearns. Milt was flattened in two rounds!
3) Michael Nunn – Sumbu Kalambay… Nunn was the heir apparent to Sugar Ray Leonard. Kalambay was a solid champion with wins over Mike McCallum and Iran Barkley. One well timed Nunn left hook ended what looked to be a competitive contest on paper in the first round.
4) Thomas Hearns – Roberto Duran… All I can say is OUCH !!! Roberto had just gone fifteen with the great Hagler. No one before or after ever did what Tommy did to Roberto that day.
5) Floyd Mayweather Jr. – Diego Corrales…NO CONTEST !!!
6) Lennox Lewis – Mike Tyson… A contest for one round. Then Lennox dominated and halted the game but overmatched Tyson in the eighth.
7) Bob Foster – Vicente Rondon… When will this generation realize that Foster would have kayoed Roy Jones Jr.?
8) George Foreman – Boone Kirkman… Boone was so overhyped. This was almost laughable. Mercifully stopped in round two.
10) Mike Tyson – Michael Spinks… What were people expecting? At that stage of Tyson’s career, he was an ANIMAL !!!
11) Jerry Quarry – Earnie Shavers… Not quite what we expected was it ? The bomber got bombed !
12) Eder Jofre – Vicente Saldivar… If they only would have met years earlier before Vicente was a “shot” fighter. It could have been a classic !Instead Saldivar folded in the fourth.
So there you have it. Great fighters in great match ups that just seemed to fizzle when the first bell sounded.