I have always been intrigued with boxing trivia. This started when I was a young boy in 1961. I would pick the minds of the older generation and ask them questions about their era to expand my knowledge. I am delighted to bring boxing trivia to my website on a quarterly basis. Five questions will appear in March, June, September, and December – with the answers to follow for viewing by the end of each posting month.
1) What is the middle name of heavyweight champion James J. Jeffries?
- a) Joshua
- b) Jason
- c) Jonathan
- d) Jackson ~ CORRECT ANSWER ***
2) Who was the referee for the George Foreman vs. Muhammad Ali title fight in Zaire, Africa?
- a) Arthur Mercante
- b) Mills Lane
- c) Tony Perez
- d) Zach Clayton ~ CORRECT ANSWER ***
3) Who was the heaviest fighter to hold any version of a heavyweight championship belt?
- a) Jess Willard
- b) Nikolai Valuev ~ CORRECT ANSWER ***
- c) Primo Carnera
- d) George Foreman
4) WBA bantamweight champion Alfonso Zamora’s ring record was 33-5 with 32 by knockout. What opponent was the only one to go the distance with him?
- a) Juan Alvarez
- b) Hector Media
- c) Luis Rosario ~ CORRECT ANSWER ***
- d) Jorge Lujan
5) Who served as a sparring partner for Sugar Ray Leonard in preparation for his 1978 bout with Floyd Mayweather Sr. (and whom he would fight later in his career)?
- a) Thomas Hearns ~ CORRECT ANSWER ***
- b) Andy Price
- c) Pete Ranzany
- d) Randy Shields